I was raised on quiet, the Little House on the Prarie books, and the King James Version of the Bible. I’m 37 years old, and . . . are you ready for this . . . I’ve never owned a TV.
A “Quiet” Life
When I was growing up, my mom never even had music playing in our house. The soundtrack of my life was silence. I actually prefer it that way, because I love to reflect on life, and silence is conducive to that sort of thing. (Obviously, I rarely experience complete silence with two toddlers!)
My favorite way to reflect on life is with a journal and pen. (I have scores of journals on my office shelves and many more in Google docs.) Without these journals, I never would’ve been able to chronicle my two-decade-journey from neediness to freedom in my first book, Confessions of a Boy-Crazy Girl.
When I’m not journaling about my life, I’m busy living it. I’m a Christ-follower, wife, mom, neighbor, church member, author, blogger, and speaker.
So how am I—a busy mom of two with a lot on her mind—able to connect meaningfully with God and neighbors? I think it’s because my life has been—and continues to be—surprisingly noise-free. My “quiet life” has allowed me to connect at an unusually deep level with God, my family, my neighbors . . . and hopefully now with you.
A Connected Life
My husband and I love inviting people into our home to be part of our daily life. If you ever visit, I’ll ask a lot of questions (being careful not to overwhelm), and do a lot of listening and learning.
In the meantime, I would love to “do life with you” here, even if it is online. Not only would it be an honor to share my personal reflections with you; I’d also love to further equip you to thoughtfully process your life with God and those around you.
My Prayer for You and Me
My desire for you and myself is that, amid our full lives, we would:
- Bring our true selves to God and others.
- Know and be known.
- Not seek to “escape” our problems through work or entertainment (and eventually crash and burn).
- Live “quiet,” examined, deeply meaningful lives with and for God.
Want to join me?
- Catch short reflections on life here: Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Don’t miss my blog reflections (more thoughtful and infrequent than social media posts) by sharing your email with me here.
- Get my first book here, and stay tuned as I slowly work toward a second.